The International ECMO Network is dedicated to conducting and supporting high-quality, high-impact research aimed at defining the role of extracorporeal life support in the management of respiratory and cardiac failure in adults, helping to build on the scientific foundation for its use and driving continuous improvement in its application where appropriate.
The use of extracorporeal support for adults is growing rapidly throughout much of the world despite a paucity of high quality evidence to support its use. Research remains fragmented across centers, countries and continents. Most regions lack a sufficient volume of such patients to be able to conduct high impact clinical trials.
The International ECMO Network (ECMOnet) is committed to a collaborative vision of scientific research in the field. One in which investigators from around the world may propose and lead projects with the Network simply soliciting and prioritizing studies, and facilitating clinical trials by:
- Recognizing overlap and bringing investigators together to collaborate
- Building and maintaining a network of centers to facilitate larger studies
- Providing the intellectual and logistical tools needed to carry the project from conception to reality
- Creating consensus for standards of care in both the intervention and control arms as well as for technical terminology
- Channeling resources to the highest quality studies with the greatest potential for success
- Fostering relationships with like-minded medical societies and institutions